What's in YOUR weather forecast? Preparing for Sandy

Here you can socialize and have fun with other board members, and talk about all sorts of topics that are not related to Lyme disease.
Cobwebby

Re: What's in YOUR weather forecast? Preparing for Sandy

Post by Cobwebby » Sat 3 Nov 2012 15:00

With no word from you I thought you may have evacuated. Sounds like you had a very harrowing experience.
That is quite a first hand report you have provided.I hope some of the relief efforts from mid atlantic have now reached your area.
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Sat 3 Nov 2012 16:50

Claudia,

I am so sorry to hear that you, your family members, neighbours and friends have been through such a difficult time. Without any word from you, I was frankly concerned, but hoped that life in general was just keeping you too busy to check in here at LNE.

Thank goodness for those hot showers that probably kept you and your neighbours going throughout this ordeal. While the media focus has been mostly on New York and New Jersey, I did notice that President Obama included Connecticut in the list of states hardest hit by Sandy.

You wrote:
People outside the effected areas knew more of what was going on and how bad the damage and conditions were than those of us in the badly effected areas.
The same thing happened last year after Irene caused more damage in Vermont than most people realize. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I think that's just one aspect of natural disasters that requires some innovative thinking on the part of emergency planners.

North America's heavy reliance on technology becomes very evident at times like this, and I think a battery-operated or wind-up radio is an absolute must these days. I hope you're able to buy more batteries this weekend, Claudia, but I suspect they may be in short supply in your area.

Take care, and thanks so much for checking in and sharing your experiences.

Rita

Cobwebby

Post by Cobwebby » Sat 3 Nov 2012 21:18

Rita- wind up radio??
The greater part of our happiness or misery
depends on our dispositions,
and not on our circumstances.
Martha Washington

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Sat 3 Nov 2012 21:48

Yup. I'm not endorsing or promoting amazon.com -- just providing an example of one online supplier:

http://crank-radio-review.toptenreviews.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-free-Wind ... B000LNXJOU

Your local army/navy surplus/supply and/or camping/hiking/outdoor equipment stores may have other versions.

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Mon 5 Nov 2012 21:26

Hindsight is 20/20, and I personally believe government officials did (and are doing) their best under very difficult circumstances.

That said, there are apparently some lessons to be learned -- as with most things in life. As the blogger mentions at the very end, those very same officials are still struggling to help people even as they face another storm -- albeit far less concerning than Sandy. I just watched Mayor Bloomberg during a news conference a short time ago touch upon this very topic when he said there needs to be a balance between informing/preparing people and not creating panic.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/bnorcr ... ntrynum=24
Sandy: What Happened and What’s Next?

Posted by: Bryan Norcross, 4:01 AM GMT on November 05, 2012

[snip]

When the crisis has past and the people are taken care of, the time will come to figure out how the mayor of America's greatest city was so misinformed or misguided that he told people they didn't have to evacuate and then changed his mind 24 hours later... while the storm didn't change at all. In truth, even the various governors who had the right message were late into the game. There's something broken here that needs an urgent fix.

[snip]

More immediately, however, our full attention and resources need to be focused on the people who are stuck in the cold and dark with a strong nor'easter on the way. For them, it's going to be a very tough week.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Mon 5 Nov 2012 22:02

BTW Rita, Nova Scotia sent the local utility company linemen to help restore our power. Thank you, Canada!

There was a call out for over 22,000 line workers to come to the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic to help.

RitaA

Post by RitaA » Mon 5 Nov 2012 22:11

Claudia,

I'm so glad that folks in Connecticut got to meet some of the nicest people in Canada.

I'll bet that everyone in Canada just wishes we could do even more to help out in the recovery process. Crews from the U.S. were such a blessing during the 1998 ice storm that knocked out power in parts of Quebec, Ontario and the Maritimes for days -- and in some cases weeks (and even months).

Folks on both sides of the border are lucky to have such good neighbours. :)

Rita

Edited to add:

http://www.icestorm98.info/Reports/Less ... round.html
That residents of eastern Ontario got through the disaster as well as they did is also due in large part to the resources that came from outside.

The Canadian Armed Forces deployed 15,000 troops to storm stricken areas in Canada, the largest peace-time deployment in Canadian history. Troops set up communications networks, supplied generators, ran warehouses, cleared debris from roads, did door-to-door checks, and helped at shelters.

Hydro and forestry crews came from across Canada and the United States, many not charging for their services or the use of their equipment. Electrical wire came from as far away as Texas and hydro poles were shipped from British Columbia and California.
We didn't have any power disruptions in Toronto, but family members in Montreal are still talking about that 1998 storm.

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Tue 6 Nov 2012 1:29

RitaA wrote:

...family members in Montreal are still talking about that 1998 storm.
Wow, I can understand why it would have left an impression.

The 2 inches of ice on this twig well illustrates the impact.

Lorima

Post by Lorima » Tue 6 Nov 2012 3:23

Claudia,
Just read your account. I'm so sorry about your trees and gardens. Sounds like it was pretty bad there.
I hope the nor'easter doesn't do more damage. Enough already.
Best wishes,
Lorima
"I have to understand the world, you see."
Richard Feynman