live blood microscopy

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
jgalea71

live blood microscopy

Post by jgalea71 » Sun 26 Apr 2015 14:14

Hello I have been dismissed by my infectious disease doctor as not having lyme disease. I did live blood microscopy on myself and this is what i've found....this was done with a brightfield condenser at 2000x.
Attachments
blood34 (2015_04_20 14_02_23 UTC).PNG
blood34 (2015_04_20 14_02_23 UTC).PNG (223.87 KiB) Viewed 3203 times

jgalea71

Re: Babesia as seen in live blood...after neg test from Igen

Post by jgalea71 » Sun 26 Apr 2015 14:31

just FYI....this is my blood, i looked at it myself...

admin
Site Admin

Re: live blood microscopy

Post by admin » Sun 26 Apr 2015 14:45

Hello jgalea71,

Welcome to this forum.

It seems to me that you posted 3 times essentially the same message with the same attached image. Therefore I removed 2 of these 3 posts:

1. a post in a new topic with title "Babesia as seen in live blood...after neg test from Igenex" and image description "babesia in live blood" and no further text.

2. a post that is a reply to topic FISH method for detection of Borrelia in blood smears with image description "live blood microscopy with brightfield condenser at 2000x" and message:
Hello
I was infected sometime in the 90's. I am not a microscopist but after being dismissed for lyme disease in Ontario, i bought my own microscope and after a few months of practice, this is what i saw....
It also seems to me that your post does not fit in the topic about the FISH method for detection of Borrelia.

Please make sure your posts fit in topics and don't posts the same message multiple times.

X-member

Post by X-member » Sun 26 Apr 2015 15:05

I can not recognize or identify either borrelia or any other infectious agent in the microscope image in the first post. But maybe there are some bacteria? I can see old (?) wrinkled or folded red blood cells that can be misinterpreted as "something else".

Edit to add:

And I can see thrombocytes too.

jgalea71

Post by jgalea71 » Sun 26 Apr 2015 15:52

babesia3.png
babesia3.png (200.88 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
babesia4.jpg
yes it is not easily known or recognizable....but it's there
babesia4.jpg (3.76 KiB) Viewed 3144 times

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Mon 27 Apr 2015 17:06

The color inset posted

Demonstrates conclusive evidence of piroplasmosis ( presumptively Babesia infection , but other
Members of the piroplasmosis family must be excluded
If the Igenex testing for Babesia infections ( either Babesia microti or Babesia Duncani ) produce negative results,

Igenex testing includes options to test for antibodies to either Duncani species or to Microti species.
Ignenex was also working on. DNA based Babesia test , when last I checked.

Unspeciated strains of Babesia infection in the USA ( negative for Babesia antibodies but positive for
Babesia in Hamster inoculation testing were reported by me in the 1980's
In a series of over 100 human cases which I personally diagnosed at Southampton Hospital,
And
All of my cases were confirmed by sending the specimens of blood to the
New York State Department of Health Laboratory ( Dr Jorge L Benach PhD) at Stony Brook, School of Mecicine
Stony Brook, NY.

Another comment-
Multiple ring trophozoites ( not in a tetrad) are demonstrated in your color inset.

The upper Pavel shows prominent chromatin red dots and very prominent blur ring structures.
The lower panel shows prominent red chromatin dots and inconspicuous blue very pale staining
Ring structures,.
These are both legitimate and classical forms for Babesia ring trophozoites forms indie of
Parasitic end red blood cells.

In my experience, human babesiosis, as a single solitary TBD, IS VANISHINGLY RARE.
Where there is Babesiosis, there will also be evidence of a second or third CO-INFECTION

Respectfully,
Alan B. MacDonald, MD, FCAP
April 27, 2015

jgalea71

Post by jgalea71 » Mon 27 Apr 2015 19:27

Hello Dr. Macdonald
Thank you very much for your insight. The black and white picture is my specimen. The color photo was from a textbook. My Igenex IgG for Babesia microti and Duncani came back negative. My Bartonella titre was 1:64 and IND in Ontario. My c6 peptide Elisa in Ontario and my Igenex Lyme western blot came back positive. As far as you can see in my photo does this appear as Babesia to you?
Sincerely
Joanna

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Tue 28 Apr 2015 12:59

Black and white images are insufficient for direct microscopic diagnosis of Babesiosis.

You must have a proper giemsa stained preparation
To visualize the red chromatin dot and the blue ring of the trophozoites.
There is no gametocyte ever to be seen in blood,
But Tick salivary glands do contain them.

If a gametocyte population is seen along with ring trophozoites,
The infection is Malaria.
Best
Alan

TicksSuck

Post by TicksSuck » Tue 28 Apr 2015 13:59

Hello Dr. MacDonald,

You say microscopic observation of unstained blood is insufficient to detect Babesia. I was wondering about this too a few years ago after finding this while observing my own blood:
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
If specific structures can be detected, wouldn't it at least raise the suspicion of Babesia being present and warrant further testing?

X-member

Post by X-member » Tue 28 Apr 2015 17:56

TicksSuck wrote:
You say microscopic observation of unstained blood is insufficient to detect Babesia.
Dr MacDonald wrote:
Black and white images are insufficient for direct microscopic diagnosis of Babesiosis. You must have a proper giemsa stained preparation
I agree with Dr MacDonald.
Last edited by X-member on Wed 29 Apr 2015 0:46, edited 1 time in total.