Chronic Lyme disease = Late Lyme disease

Medical topics with questions, information and discussion related to Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.
X-member

Re: Chronic Lyme disease = Late Lyme disease

Post by X-member » Mon 2 Nov 2015 15:46

Can ACA (acrodermatitis) really be called "post-sepsis syndrome" (and more) in the thread below:

"Chronic Lyme is post-sepsis syndrome" ?

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... =11&t=5983

X-member

Post by X-member » Wed 18 Nov 2015 8:15

I think I have discovered two additional variants of chronic Lyme disease. ;)

The first one (that I think has been used by this US woman since 1999) can be found in the thread/post below:

"Chronic Lyme is post-sepsis syndrome" ?

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... 3&start=40

This variant of late Lyme disease (if I understand it correct) do not include ACA and arthritis.

The other variant (that I think is "invented" by NorVect) must be very new and can be found in the thread/post below:

Expanded Study Confirms Lyme May Be Sexually Transmitted

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... =40#p43332

A quote:
long term chronic Lyme disease
Very, very late Lyme disease?

X-member

Post by X-member » Wed 18 Nov 2015 8:21

Perhaps this information also belong in this thread?

Treating Chronic Lyme, Dr. Burrascano

http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/inde ... no.136739/

Two quotes:
J. J. Burrascano, MD April 24, 2004
. Early Lyme Disease ("Stage I")
- At or before the onset of symptoms
- Can be cured if treated properly

. Disseminated Lyme ("Stage II")
- Multiple major body systems affected
- More difficult to treat

. Chronic Lyme Disease ("Stage III")
- Ill for one or more years
- Serologic tests less reliable
- Treatment must be more aggressive and of longer duration

inmacdonald

Post by inmacdonald » Wed 18 Nov 2015 18:10

Infectious form of Alzheimer's Disease { Alzheimer Borreliosis} is Chronic borrelia infection
{ not synonymous with "lyme" ]

Link:

https://vimeo.com/145745120

Lecture presented: November 15,2015, London, England

Respectfully,

Alan B. MacDonald, MD, FCAP
November 18, 2015

X-member

Post by X-member » Mon 11 Jan 2016 18:03

Information from Norway:

Kronisk borreliose; diagnostikk og behandling - pasientinformasjon

http://nevro.legehandboka.no/sykdommer- ... 41458.html

Ett klipp/a quote:
Hva skal til for å stille diagnosen kronisk borreliose?

I følge Europeiske diagnostiske retningslinjer må følgende kriterier oppfylles for å stille diagnosen kronisk borreliose:

1. Sykdommen/plagene har vart minst 6 måneder

2. Tilstedeværelse av et eller flere objektive funn fra organer i kroppen som for eksempel:

Hud (et utslett som heter akrodermatitis kronika atrofikans)
Nervesystemet (hjernehinnebetennelse, hjernebetennelse, ryggmargsbetennelse, nerve- eller nerverotsbetennelse)
Ledd og muskler (hevelse og betennelse i ledd eller muskler)
Hjertet (rytmefortyrrelser eller annen påvirkning)
Øye (betennelser i deler av øyet)
Annet (tegn til affeksjon av andre organer i kroppen)

3. Positive tester på borreliasmitte og positive tester på betennelsesreaksjon i kroppen. Borreliasmitte påvises ved antistoffer mot borrelia i blod eller ryggmargsvæske, og/eller med PCR i leddvæske. Betennelsereaksjon påvises ved funn av forhøyet antall hvite blodlegemer, eggehvitestoffer mm. i ryggmargsvæske, spinalvæske. leddvæske eller hudbiopsi.

4. Andre årsaker til plagene er ikke mer sannsynlige

Hos pasienter der ikke alle kriteriene er oppfylt kan vi ofte være i tvil og kan da stille diagnosen mulig kronisk borreliose.
Det är jag själv som har fetmarkerat i klippet ovan.

Detta är samma definition av kronisk borrelios som används även i Sverige och Danmark.

Edit to add:

Sorry, I forgot to say that I write in Swedish.

This is the definition of chronic borreliosis that is used in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

X-member

Post by X-member » Mon 11 Jan 2016 18:33

If you do a translation (with google translate for example) of the Norwegian information in the previous post, the correct translation of kronisk borreliose to English is: Chronic (or late) borreliosis.

X-member

Post by X-member » Wed 13 Apr 2016 7:15

Posted by "lymestats.org" on facebook:
In a 1986 patent for the vaccine against Lyme disease, several examples of chronic Lyme disease are noted. The patent states, “chronic forms of the disease may last for months to years and are associated with the persistence of the spirochete”.

The IDSA and CDC have known since the 80s that chronic Lyme exists.

Check the first post in this thread!

:D :D

Or the thread below:

The original definition of chronic (Lyme) borreliosis

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/view ... =11&t=6080

X-member

Post by X-member » Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:51

United States Patent

Vaccine against lyme disease

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... C721%2C617

A quote:
Lyme borreliosis (Lyme disease and related disorders) is a zoonosis characterized by a number of variable syndromes. The etiological agent of this disease is the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, which is primarily transmitted by Ixodes ticks. The northern deer tick, Ixodes dammini is the major vector of Lyme disease in Minnesota, Wisconsin, the northeastern United States and adjacent Canada. The California black-legged tick, I. pacificus is the primary vector of this disease in the western United States, and in Europe the major vector of Lyme borreliosis is I. ricinus. The spirochete has also been found in deerflies, horseflies and mosquitos. The preferred hosts for the larval and nymphal stages of these ticks are small rodents such as Peromyscus leucopus, the white-footed mouse, whereas the adult ticks preferentially feed on large mammals, such as deer. Since transovarial transmission of the spirochetes by these ticks occurs infrequently, the disease is transmitted by the nymphal and adult ticks. The frequent isolation of B. burgdorferi from white-footed mice captured in foci of Lyme disease suggests that small rodents may serve as a natural reservoir for this spirochete and source of infection for the larval and/or nymphal stages of the tick. Local spread of the Ixodes ticks is by mammalian hosts, and birds may serve an important role in long distance tick dispersal.

Most cases of Lyme disease occur in June or July, when the aggressive nymphal stage is most active. As many as two-thirds of the people that become infected by this spirochete are unaware of the tick bite because of the painless bite and the small size (several mm) of the nymphal stage.

Spirochetes are introduced into the host at the site of the tick bite and this is also the location of the initial characteristic skin lesion, erythema chronicum migrans (ECM). A systemic illness ensues due to the lymphatic and hematogenous spread of B. burgdorferi. The early phase of the illness often consists of the ECM, headache, fatigue, muscle and joint aches, stiff neck and chills and fever. This phase of the disease may be followed by neurologic, joint or cardiac abnormalities. The chronic forms of the disease such as arthritis (joint involvement), acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans (skin involvement), and Bannwart's syndrome (neurological involvement) may last for months to years and are associated with the persistence of the spirochete. A case of maternal-fetal transmission of B. burgdorferi resulting in neonatal death has been reported. Domestic animals such as the dog also develop arthritis and lameness to this tick-borne infection. For every symptomatic infection, there is at least one asymptomatic infection. Lyme disease is presently the most commonly reported tick-borne disease in the United States.

The infection may be treated at any time with antibiotics such as penicillin, erythromycin, tetracycline, and ceftriaxone. Once infection has occurred, however, the drugs may not purge the host of the spirochete but may only act to control the chronic forms of the disease. Complications such as arthritis and fatigue may continue for several years after diagnosis and treatment.

Since the effectiveness of the present methods of treatment are limited, and vector control is impractical at best, a need exists for a vaccine which is effective to immunize high-risk individuals and susceptible domestic animals against Lyme borreliosis.

X-member

Post by X-member » Thu 11 May 2017 20:08

Chronic Lyme Disease: A Working Case Definition
Stricker RB* and Fesler MC

Published: May 03, 2017

http://austinpublishinggroup.com/chroni ... -first.php

A quote:
To qualify for the diagnosis of CLD, patients must have Lyme-compatible symptoms and signs that are either consistently or variably present for six or more months.