Garlic as antimicrobial

Topics with scientific, medical or general health related information and discussion that is not specifically related to Lyme disease.
cave76

Garlic as antimicrobial

Post by cave76 » Wed 17 Sep 2008 14:57

http://www.herbalchem.net/GarlicIntroductory.htm

http://www.herbalchem.net/GarlicIntermediate.htm

Analyses of Garlic powder tablets have revealed a wide range of alliin concentrations: from a low of 0.4 up to 24 mg per gram of tablet. "Allicin-standardized" tablets contain an average of 13 mg/g of alliin, while non-standardized tablets contain, on average, 7 mg/g.

To preserve the maximum amount of alliin in dried products, the cloves should be minimally sliced and carefully freeze-dried.

Too much slicing mixes more alliin and alliinase, resulting in increased allicin production prior to dehydration; the unstable allicin soon degrades. Additionally, excess heat during dehydration inactivates the alliinase, destroying the allicin-yield potential of the product.

After the powdering process, the remaining alliin and alliinase are quite stable as long as the powder is kept dry and reasonably cool. The average five-year storage loss of allicin-yield is 36%.2

Alliin is quite stable in the absence of active alliinase, and can also be found in cooked Garlic (if it has not been converted to allicin before cooking), Garlic vinegars, and aged extracts.

http://www.herbalchem.net/GarlicAdvanced.htm

Ali G

Re: Garlic as antimicrobial

Post by Ali G » Wed 17 Sep 2008 18:39

Great info. Thanks Cave!

I've been using Dr.Zhang's "Allicin" which is actually allitridi, a precursor that's converted to the active Allicin in the body. A google search shows quite a bit of research involving Allitridi.

The only problem is that I smell bad......I smell REAL BAD(sic)!!! :roll: ;)

I believe it's actually concentrated garlic stink. :mrgreen:

edited to fix link
Last edited by Ali G on Wed 24 Sep 2008 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Wed 17 Sep 2008 23:27

Cave!!!

this site isnt anywhere near peer reviewed--Lisa Ganora is the author of the site/info:
I've been a traditional herbalist for twenty years and a phytochemistry geek since 1997. Having taught herbal medicine classes and tutored chemistry students, my combined experience allows me to comprehend phytochemical information and translate it for practical use. I'm currently based in Boulder, Colorado. For more info, please see my résumé.
Ive peeked at her resume--Im a little suspicious of anyone listing that in college YEARS ago she got an award for organic chem--student of the year???? seriously??? 9 yrs ago.and like that matters now???

she may be very well self taught and may even know her herbs but this is a far cry from "peer reviewed" levels of validity

edited/censored to prevent banning--new rule--cannot speak for admin--apologies for questioning where this thread belonged--science vs unconventional, it will never happen again :mrgreen:
Last edited by Fin24 on Fri 19 Sep 2008 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 18 Sep 2008 0:05

Fin said:
are ya trying to confuse me more???
I didn't think that was possible!!!! :)

I put it here for two reasons:

1. I was interested in the science behind this allicin thang.

Edited by poster due to inflammatory language.
Last edited by cave76 on Tue 23 Sep 2008 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Thu 18 Sep 2008 1:51

IF youre serious about #1

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... c86d9b147c
Antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic
Serge Ankri and David Mirelman
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Available online 19 June 2001.
Abstract
Allicin, one of the active principles of freshly crushed garlic homogenates, has a variety of antimicrobial activities. Allicin in its pure form was found to exhibit i) antibacterial activity against a wide range of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria, including multidrug-resistant enterotoxicogenic strains of Escherichia coli; ii) antifungal activity, particularly against Candida albicans; iii) antiparasitic activity, including some major human intestinal protozoan parasites such as Entamoeba histolytica and Giardia lamblia; and iv) antiviral activity. The main antimicrobial effect of allicin is due to its chemical reaction with thiol groups of various enzymes, e.g. alcohol dehydrogenase, thioredoxin reductase, and RNA polymerase, which can affect essential metabolism of cysteine proteinase activity involved in the virulence of E. histolytica.
From Springerlink--I only have access to abstract
Antimicrobial properties of Allium sativum (garlic) ,J. C. Harris, S. Cottrell, S. Plummer, D. Lloyd
Journal Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 57, Number 3 / October, 2001

Abstract
Although garlic has been used for its medicinal properties for thousands of years, investigations into its mode of action are relatively recent. Garlic has a wide spectrum of actions; not only is it antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antiprotozoal, but it also has beneficial effects on the cardiovascular and immune systems. Resurgence in the use of natural herbal alternatives has brought the use of medicinal plants to the forefront of pharmacological investigations, and many new drugs are being discovered. This review aims to address the historical use of garlic and its sulfur chemistry, and to provide a basis for further research into its antimicrobial properties.
http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/conte ... t/43/6/837
Antibacterial effect of garlic and omeprazole on Helicobacter pylori
D. Jonkersa,*, E. van den Broeka, I. van Doorena, C. Thijsb, E. Dorantb, G. Hagemanc and E. Stobberingha

The antibacterial effect of a home-made raw garlic extract and commercial garlic tablets alone and in combination with antibiotics or omeprazole was determined against clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori. MIC values of raw garlic extract and three types of commercial garlic tablets ranged from 10,000 to 17,500 mg/L. When MIC values of the commercial tablets were based on the allicin content, no differences between the three types were observed. The combination of garlic and omeprazole, studied with killing curves, showed a synergic effect which was concentration dependent. Further clinical evaluation of garlic in combination with the conventional agents for H. pylori treatment seems warranted

http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/11/4/743
Evaluation of the In Vitro Antifungal Activity of Allicin
Yasuo Yamada and Keiz Azuma
ABSTRACT
Allicin was effective in vitro against Candida, Cryptococcus, Trichophyton, Epidermophyton, and Microsporum. The minimal inhibitory concentrations (MICs) of allicin against these organisms were 3.13 to 6.25 µg/ml by the agar dilution method and 1.57 to 6.25 µg/ml by the broth dilution method, using Sabouraud glucose (SG) medium. However decreased activity was demonstrated against Aspergillus. The MIC of allicin against various pathogenic fungi was affected considerably by differences in the experimental conditions, e.g., incubation time, inoculum size, type of medium, and medium pH. SNIP

These results suggest that allicin inhibits both germination of spores and growth of hyphae

on bacterial resistanceto garlic/allicin!!!:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0
Isolation and Characterization of Bacteria Resistant to the Antimicrobial Activity of Garlic
KYU HANG KYUNG 1 , KYUNG SUK PARK 1 YOUN SOON KIM
ABTRACT
Twenty-six bacteria were isolated from garlic (Allium sativum) and characterized. They all were identified as Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. mesenteroides. All the isolates were resistant to antimicrobial activity of garlic and grew or survived in TSB with 10% garlic extract while other bacteria and yeasts from our laboratory collection were killed when 1–2% garlic extract was in the culture media. Garlic isolates were also more tolerant than common laboratory strains to the toxic effect of methyl methanethiosulfonate, a thiol inhibitor similar to allicin. This is the first report of the isolation of naturally occurring bacteria resistant to antimicrobial activity of garlic.
http://www.allimax.us/Cutler.pdf
Antibacterial activity of a new, stable, aqueous extract of allicin against methicillin-resistant
Staphylococcus aureus, R R. CUTLER* and P. WILSON†
BRITISH JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCE 2004 61 (2)

ABSTRACT SNIP
In this study, a new, stable,aqueous extract of allicin (extracted from garlic) is tested on 30 clinical isolates of MRSA that show a range of susceptibilities to mupirocin.

allya had to do was ASK silly

and about #2--so far <<<snore>>>>> <<<zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and tattle tale I can take but "forum police" ? GASP and :cry:

cave76

Post by cave76 » Thu 18 Sep 2008 3:15

Great articles you posted, Fin. I'll get around to actually reading them someday.

YAWN-nn-nnnnnnn ZZZzzzzzzzz

:lol: :lol:

Fin24

Post by Fin24 » Thu 18 Sep 2008 4:46

I was interested in the science behind this allicin thang
guess I missed the sarcasm????

:bonk:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue 23 Sep 2008 21:14

Topic moved from "Science" to "General Health", because it's not specifically related to Lyme and other TBD.

Witchmark

Post by Witchmark » Mon 29 Sep 2008 14:15

Two great articles about this topic:
both are by Jennifer Billing and Paul W. Sherman,

"The anti-microbial Functions of Spices:Why some like it hot," in The Quarterly Review of Biology, V.73, No.1, March 1998, and also
"Darwinian Gastrono0my:Why we use spices:spices taste good because they are good for us" Bioscience, June 1999.

Oregano turns out to be the most potent antimicrobial spice. Garlic in not far behind.

Ali G

Post by Ali G » Mon 29 Sep 2008 15:59

Pharmazie. 1999 Apr;54(4):289-93.

Stabilization and pharmaceutical use of alliinase.
Krest I, Keusgen M.

Institut für Pharmazeutische Biologie, Universität Bonn, Germany.

In recent years, numerous clinical trials were undertaken in order to elucidate the active principle of garlic (Allium sativum L., Alliaceae). The most prominent effect of garlic preparations is a contribution to the prevention of stroke and arteriosclerosis.

Allicin[(2-propenyl)-2-propenethiosulfinate] and other sulfur containing compounds were suggested as active compounds.

The extremely unstable allicin itself is liberated from the more stable alliin [S-(+)-2-propenyl-L-cysteine sulfoxide] by the enzyme alliinase (EC 4.4.1.4) if fresh garlic is crunched or garlic powder is moistened.

Therefore, an active enzyme is required in alliin containing remedies like those prepared from garlic powder.

In order to investigate enzyme stability, alliinase was isolated from garlic powder.
The partially purified enzyme could be stabilized over several months by addition of sodium chloride, sucrose, and pyridoxal-5'-phosphate.

Alliinase may also be freeze-dried. This allows combinations of synthetic alliin and purified alliinase as components of an acid resistant tablet or capsule.

In the intestine, the pro-drug alliin would be enzymatically converted to allicin. In clinical trials, highly dosed preparations of this kind should yield a precise information about the physiological effects of allicin.

In addition, alliin-homologues substances which bear a modified alkyl side chain and do not occur in nature may be tested.

PMID: 10234740 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE